Sunday, March 23, 2008

22nd March 2008.


End of Class.


Last week was the last week meeting my beloved students for this semester. I taught two subjects; English for Academic and Occupational Purposes. My students come from different schools or what they call ‘Kulliyyah’ at our university. The thing which I admire about them is their hardwork and determination in accomplishing their assignments. Of course there are a few who still practice the ‘last minute’ submission but overall they are committed to their work. However, I hope they won’t just be any typical dedicated person who goes to class with the mere attention of getting A’s. Life is not just about getting A’s. Yes, the A’s ARE IMPORTANT but there are OTHER IMPORTANT SKILLS that they should acquire in life. I have seen a lot of successful people having these powerful skills which among others are communication and inter-personal skills. They maneuver life as if nothing can stop them from achieving their dreams. Their pure perseverance and commitment towards their goals are derived from classes, seminars, talks, meetings attended after the formal education setting takes place. The courage to change, accompanied with good attitude help these individuals to discover their true potential as human beings. Yes, we are indeed special my dear students, and if you are reading this, I believe we are born to be winners, to achieve great things in life and be successful. Therefore, I’m going to include the definition of success here, so that it can be a guidance to all of us. I believe I agree with this view of what real success is.


Success

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

Suwaibah said...

salam mdm yati..this is me,suwaibah. ur ex EOP's student..i hope u still recognise my name at least..hehe. i'm now in Mardi serdang doing my practical training here. just dropping by to keep in touch wif u..hope u r happy always and sucessful in whatever things u r doing and will do in future.A lot of thanks for the uncountable knowledge u gave to me and my friends..we appreciate the knowledge.. :)

Anonymous said...

salam mdm..i got that success meaning pasted on my board..:D
just love the way he interpret the essence of success..