Tuesday, August 8, 2017

      GRIT - What is IT anyway?

Dear Teh,
Ibu somehow found Professor Dr Angela Duckworth when I was searching for answers on what makes a person gritty. My search under the word 'gritty'  led me to her speech in Tedtalks. She explained the concept in the most captivating manner supported by highly reputable research.This famous psychologist gave me clear answers as to how we can be gritty.
Eventually,  I bought her book 'Grit - The Power of Passion & Perseverance' and have been reading it since

If you ever read this entry Teh Aisyah, I want you to go through this book yourself which is now full of highlighted notes and remarks (especially for both of us). It's white in colour and it's one of my favourite collection. 

What drove me was your series of questions asking me why your friends in school are performing  significantly well  while you had to struggle most of the time. Again and again I told you that GRIT is what you need instead of natural talent. You seemed to believe that these friends of yours are somehow gifted and that talent is superior compared to effort. 

I want to share some of Dr Angela's work here so that it will lead you to understand how grit, the power of passion and perseverance is in fact more powerful than  natural talent. What crops up again and again was the notion of commitment, consistency of effort and the willingness to stay loyal in whatever we do. 
We need to learn to be gritty Teh. Only then we will be able to follow the footsteps of the grittiest person ever alive - our beloved prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

I'll continue this later.miss you so much. Cant wait for the school holiday!

No comments: